Title of operation: Ecoremediation for clean environment and quality of life
Acronym of operation: “Od mlake do mlake”
Catalogue: Od mlake do mlake
The »OD MLAKE DO MLAKE« operation was implemented in 10 months from September 2017 to June 2018. The value of the whole operation is EUR 29,019.55 and 85% of the eligible costs are co-financed from the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development. The head of the operation is the Skupina Fabrika, Research and Development, d.o.o., and partners are the Stara Cesta Tourist Association, the Ljutomer Municipality and the Stara Cesta Local Community.
The operation contributes to SLR LAS Prlekija general objective “Improving the Relationship with the Environment and Conservation of Biodiversity” and specific objective “Improving Nature and Natural Resources Protection through Ecoremediation” (C9) through actualisation of the Ecoremediation Implementation (U17) by presenting and promoting sustainable water conservation and water treatment solutions.
Water management is one of the main topics of the 21st century, because the amount of water resources is decreasing rapidly due to increased consumption, and above all, their quality is compromised. Water, as a natural resource, is one of the amenities that condition both human existence and healthy living as well as economic development. According to the SLR LAS Prlekija, only 31.6% of households were connected to the public sewerage network in 2015 in Prlekija region (despite large investments in construction of water drainage and treatment systems), which is below the national average and is a consequence of low population density, dispersion of settlements and high financial costs of building a sewage network that are burdening municipal budgets. In dispersed and ridge settlements without public sewage, households are the largest point water sources polluters in terms of waste water and untreated water quantity. This also includes facilities intended for tourism, facilities open to public, and facilities for production and service activities. The hilly part of Slovenske gorice landscape is also characterized by village ponds, which were indispensable rainwater collectors used for livestock watering, watering the gardens, solving the problem of basements flooding in severe rainfall and provide water in the event of fires. The ponds represented valuable smaller ecosystems with plants and animals. For the conservation of many indigenous animal and plant species, stagnant waters are the most favourable natural environment. Some ponds are still left in the area, some are heavily overgrown, there is sewage in some of them, and some are completely filled up.
Objectives of the operation
- Reduce pollution and prepare and present some demonstration ecoremediation cases in the region. (Model arrangement of a pond and implementation of wetlands for domestic waste water treatment)
- Identify individual locations of implemented ecoremediation measures that promote the power of nature in the establishment and efficient functioning of natural systems and integrate them into the educational, tourist and recreational whole.
- Organize activities for the transfer of good practices and knowledge to the inhabitants of the entire LAS Prlekija area (to support accelerated problem solving).
In the Stara Cesta Local Community, residents have decided to go beyond the current state of affairs and contribute to the improvement of nature protection and water conservation in their location together with their partners in the framework of the operation, by restoring and revitalizing village ponds and arranging a constructed wetlands for domestic waste water treatment at the old kindergarten Stara Cesta by ecoremediation. The restored ponds and constructed wetlands for domestic waste water treatment will be included in the tourist and educational offer of the site, information materials will be prepared, and promotional events and public awareness raising will be provided on the possibilities of using ecoremediation in solving discharging and treatment of waste water and conservation of water resources in the areas of dispersed settlements throughout the LAS Prlekija area.
Direct effects of the operation
- 6 village ponds have been restored, revitalized and equipped
- Completed constructed wetlands for domestic waste water treatment in old school Stara Cesta for 20 PE
- Promotional event held at the opening of the Stara Cesta tourist route and educational path
- Printed information leaflets about ERM in the tourist offer of TD Stara Cesta
- Published e-catalogue of ERM measures implemented in the LAS Prlekija area
- Prepared and published content about the operation for websites
- Implemented events for the transfer of good practices and knowledge in all municipalities of the LAS Prlekija
The target groups of the operation are residents, local communities and utilities in LAS Prlekija area.
The project was submitted in December 2016 for the 1st open call LAS Prlekija for the operations selection for the implementation of the objectives of Local Development Strategy in the municipalities of Apače, Gornja Radgona, Križevci, Ljutomer, Radenci, Razkrižje, Sveti Jurij ob Ščavnici and Veržej in 2016–2018.
The project is co-financed by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development.
EKSRP – https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/rural-development-2014-2020_sl
PRP – www.program-podezelja.si
LAS Prlekija – www.las-prlekija.com